Parents of infants and newborns may sometimes have a tough time figuring out their babies’ needs based solely on their crying. Instead of trying to decipher what their fussy baby is trying to tell them, these parents would rather keep the crying at bay and ensure their little ones are happy at all times. They are all pondering the same thing: How can I ensure my little bundle of joy actually stays joyful?
Vivienne Van Eijkelenborg, owner of Difrax, The Netherlands’ leading baby products company, knows that if baby stays happy, everyone is content and stress-free. She’s sharing some tips to make sure baby is cheerful at all times.
TIPS TO ENSURE YOUR LITTLE BUNDLE OF JOY STAYS JOYFUL
Difrax’s Vivienne Van Eijkelenborg Offers Ways New Parents Can Make Sure Baby Stays Happy And Calm
New parents have so much on their plate, and a fussy baby can make everything even more difficult. Fortunately, Difrax baby products company owner Vivienne Van Eijkelenborg has brainstormed the best tips for keeping baby happy and calm:
1. Set a routine. Even babies can sense what is coming next. Your little one thrives on routine and structure and will be much happier if she’s eating, sleeping, bathing and playing at roughly the same times every day. Sleep is especially important. A well-rested baby is a happy baby. Be vigilant about bedtimes and naptime, even if it doesn’t work well with your schedule. Baby will actually sleep better if their nap and bed times are consistent vs. if they’re overtired.
2. Keep yourself calm. Babies can take their cues from mom or dad. If you become panicky or irritable, or if you create a sense of chaos, your baby will sense it and react the same way.
3. Snuggle with them. Babies need physical touch, and being snuggled by mom or dad will keep them calm and help them feel safe. The “Kangaroo Hold” or going bare skin to bare skin is especially calming for a child.
4. Know your baby. You’ll learn quickly what makes your little one fussy. It could be a wet diaper, some babies are extremely sensitive to needing a clean diaper or itchy clothes or tags on clothes, being hungry, too warm or too cold, etc. Journaling when your baby appears to be fussy and how or when the crying stopped may give you some good insight into what your baby needs.
5. Have a special song. Babies love being the center of attention. Find a special song to sing when baby is feeling fussy. The sound of your singing will comfort her and help her calm down and stay positive.
6. Create bathtime rituals. Sometimes, when baby is feeling out of sorts, a warm bath can help sooth the negative disposition. Create special bathtime rituals that will relax your little one and keep her calm. Most babies enjoy music, and playing your little one’s favorite songs can often put her in a more playful mood. The water from the shower can also produce a calming effect when baby is feeling out of sorts.
7. Story time. Babies enjoy the sound of mama’s voice while being snuggled. Reading a special story, especially at bedtime, can create special bonding moments between mom and baby. It also can set the stage for a restful night’s sleep.
8. Massage. Just like adults, babies can feel the day’s stresses. Use lightly scented or unscented oil to massage baby’s back, legs, and arms while speaking soft words of affirmation, as this will have a calming effect on baby’s mood. The soft sounds of mommy or daddy’s voice will lull baby into a more relaxed state of being.
9. Take a walk or go for a car ride. Babies need variety in their day too, and if the fussiness starts, they will often calm down if they get outside and enjoy the fresh air. If baby isn’t feeling happy, take her for a walk around the block or to the park in the stroller. Some babies find the motion and sound of the car soothing so if a walk outside is not in the cards due to the weather, a car ride may make for a good alternative.
10. Surround baby with bright, cheerful colors
: Bold and colorful patterns will stimulate baby’s curiousity and keep her occupied and engaged. This doesn’t just hold true for the nursury and baby toys; now you can also keep your little one happy and content with a colorful, bold pacifier! Difrax
offers 3-stage pacifiers designed to meet the individual needs of baby at every age/stage, in an array of bold, colorful, and fashionable patterns that are sure to evoke happiness in little tots. The pacifiers come in two styles: Classic (resembles a mother’s breast and is perfect for babies who turn the pacifier around in their mouths) and Orthodontic (stimulates muscle/palate development).
Keep in mind that each baby is different and experimentation is key to discovering how to make sure your little bundle of joy actually stays joyful. As baby grows, her cries will help you differentiate between whether she needs food or a diaper change, or whether she’s experiencing teething pain. However, until then, try these tips to keep your baby happy and calm.
Vivienne Van Eijkelenborg offers her tips to expectant and new parents. Vivienne is the owner of Difrax,
a Dutch baby products company that pioneered a pacifier system designed to accommodate each stage of baby’s development with newborn to 6 month, 6 + month an 18+ month sizes. Difrax offers innovative, stylish, and trendy products that make the lives of babies and their parents as convenient and as pleasant as possible.
Disclosure: I have received complimentary/free products for the purpose of this review and or any banners on this site. The opinions are 100% mine. I have not been influenced in any way. I am disclosing this in accordance with Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255 Guides Concerning the use of Endorsements and Testimonials In Advertising. Peanut Butter And Whine.