I don’t know about you but new kitchen stuff makes me so giddy. ESPECIALLY the Dowan kind! Do you remember the amazing baking dish?? The one I made the Blueberry Lemon Crumble in!? The baking dish is the one I reach for every single time. It is perfect. (It’s also on sale on Amazon!)
As perfect as my baking dish is my new Dowan Pasta Bowls are EVEN BETTER!!!!!! Check out the colors!!! How amazing are these bright, cheerful, vibrant, and PERFECT bowls?!?! This is a set of four bowls, 8.5″ around. These bowls hold 35 ounces!!! Perfect as a salad bowl, prep bowl or soup bowl. They are SO PRETTY I just want to jump up and down!!
So, to celebrate my new pasta bowls I decided to make a batch of Lasagna Soup.
If you are like me and your first thought was ‘NO‘, lasagna is a perfect food as is. We don’t mess with LASAGNA. Truthfully, it’s exactly what I thought when I first saw this recipe. But being the adventurous person that I am…. I tried it. Now it’s one of our favorite fall and winter meals. I make a large batch; I freeze half because it freezes perfectly. Added bonus I cook mine in the InstaPot, meaning I can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. It’s filling so it would make a wonderful Sunday dinner for the family.
Trust me. This is a keeper of a recipe.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage (We love hot, Johnsonville makes an excellent Hot Italian Sausage)
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic (I use the jar kind because I’m lazy)
- 4 cups beef broth – I use the jar concentrate
- 2 23 ounce jars spaghetti sauce – your favorite variety again jar (super lazy)
- 1 can canned diced tomatoes (seriously, we have already established the fact I’m lazy)
- 2 tablespoons Italian spice (this is really to your taste, personally I give two good shakes)
- 2 (or more) tablespoons cayenne pepper (again, to your taste. We like spicey so I put in 4 tablespoons)
- 1/2 box lasagna noodles – broken into bite-size pieces. Regular and oven-ready noodles both worked the same
- 1 12 ounce bag frozen spinach
- Ricotta – full fat or light, either will work!
- Parmesan cheese – grated (again lazy… I buy pre-shredded)
- Mozzarella cheese– grated (ditto)
****Mix the cheeses together to top the soup before serving.
Brown sausage and hamburger. (If using InstaPot sauté function) Drain. In empty pan (instapot or skillet) Add the onion and garlic sauté until starting to soften. Add a small amount of broth and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Add the remaining broth, spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, and the Italian seasoning and cheyanne pepper.
Break up the lasagna noodles to bit size pieces. Add to the top of the mixture DO NOT STIR!! Put the lid on the Instant Pot, seal the lid and cook for 6 minutes on high pressure.
Quick release after the 6 minutes.
While the pressure cooker is releasing pressure microwave the spinach.
Add the spinach, stir. AND ENJOY!!! It’s sooooooooooooo good!!! It’s even better in my new pasta bowls. HONEST!!!
BTW, when you reheat your lasagna soup you may want to add some more broth or another jar of spaghetti sauce. The noodles soak up a lot of the liquid when you reheat the soup. Trust me it’s even better the second day.
Thank you Dowan for my most amazing Pasta Bowls!!!!